Tarver Library Juvenile Literature Collection
A separate juvenile literature collection is available on the second (main) floor of the Tarver Library. This collection includes fiction and non-fiction materials for children and young adults and serves primarily to meet the instructional needs of undergraduate and graduate students, especially those in the teacher education program.
Materials suited to pre-K through twelfth-grade are selected. A variety of learning and teaching styles are represented in the collection. Special emphasis is placed on acquiring subject-specific literature and outstanding examples of each genre and subject area. Notable award books, such as winners and honorable mention titles of the Caldecott, Newbery, and Coretta Scott King awards are purchased each year.
Searching for juvenile titles at Tarver:
Begin at the libraries website, using the Catalog tab in the upper left-hand side of the screen. Note: select the catalog search rather than the Discovery search.
- This keyword search for holidays limited to Tarver Juvenile returns 9 items. A closer look at two of the records reveals more helpful information:
- Location, call number, and status are available for each title. This way you can quickly identify if an item is available, checked out, on hold, or recently returned.
- Some titles also include an enhanced record, such as the second entry in our keyword search on reading. This enhanced record can include additional information on the title such as summary and table of contents and biographical information on the author.
- Only one of these enhanced elements is displayed at a time, and the default is to expand the summary. Clicking the arrow next to the Table of Contents will allow that element to be expanded. You can also click on the link at the top of the record to display the table of contents.
- An added feature is a map to the actual shelf location of this title.
Juvenile items at other locations:
You can also search the library catalog and limit your search to juvenile items at the Swilley Library. These records include all of the information seen above for Tarver Library items. If an item is available at another location, you can request that it be sent to the Tarver Library. This may take up to five business days to be received, but it can save you from making a trip! It is important to note that although you cannot limit a search to juvenile materials available at the Douglas or Henry County Center Libraries, you can limit to the entire collections that are housed at the Regional Academic Center libraries.
- A keyword search for holidays limited to juvenile items at Swilley (Atlanta) returns 4 items. To request this item to be sent to you, simply click the Request this title link:
- Complete the form with your name and MUID (Mercer University ID) and then select a pickup location. Items can be sent to Douglas County, Henry County, Tarver (Macon), or Newnan.
If you have any questions about the collection, please use the contact information on the right-hand side of the screen to contact the Education Subject Librarian.