How to Use Mergent Online
Mergent Online is an online product database provided by Mergent, Inc. with extensive business and financial information on over 15,000 U.S. public companies and over 20,000 non-U.S. public companies from approximately 100 countries. Mergent Online is essentially a financial database with data going back 15 years. The data in EDGAR filings date back to 1993 and are updated daily. It also contains a country information file.
Currently Mercer subscribes to the databases of U.S. Company Universe, US Company Archive, International Universe, International Archive, and Private Company DB.
Searching the Database:
This database offers a basic, advance, EDGAR, industry reports, equity reports, and country profile search. Results from any of these searches can be added to a company analysis list and used to compare companies. You can access Mergent Online from the Tarver Library home page. First go to the library home page and select the Databases (Articles) under the section of Finding Library Materials. Scroll down till you find the Mergent Online database. Then you click on the Enter Mergent Online button on the left side of the top screen.
To select a Company by Name
You can search for companies by their names, ticker symbols, or CUSIP or you can search for lists of companies by Primary SIC, Primary NAICS, MIC codes and/or country.
When you search by name, you can enter any part of the name. The search will find all the company names available that contain the text you type. You can search for several company names in one search by placing 'or' between each piece of text entered. You can also separate each word or piece of text with a comma, if you wish. The search results page will display all the company names containing the search term you typed.
To select a Company by Ticker Symbol
When you search by ticker, you must know the ticker of the company you wish to find. You can search for several ticker symbols in one search by placing "or" between each word or piece of text entered. You can also separate each word or piece of text with a comma and a space. The search results page will show all the company names containing the ticker symbols you typed.
To search US exchanges only, set the US Exchanges Only check box.
To select a Company by CUSIP number
CUSIP (Committee on Uniform Securities Identification Procedures) numbers are unique identifiers for securities used to record all buy and sell orders. The search by CUSIP number will only match a complete CUSIP number so you must know the CUSIP number of the company.
To retrieve a list of Companies by Primary SIC code(s)
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes are four digit numerical codes assigned to U.S. industries and their products. If you search for a range of codes, you can either use an asterisk (*) as a wild card or you can simply leave off the digits you want as the range. For example, typing in '31*' or '31' in the Code field will find a list of companies in the SIC code range 3100 through 3199. You can search for several SIC codes in one search by placing ' or ' between each one entered or you can separate each code with a comma and a space.
There is an SIC code lookup table available by selecting the Prim. SIC option then clicking on the use code lookup link.
To retrieve a list of Companies by Primary NAICS codes
You can retrieve a list of Companies by Primary NAICS codes. To search for a range of codes you can either use an asterisk (*) as a wild card or you can simply leave off the digits you want as the range. For example, typing in '31*' or '31' in the Code field will find a list of companies in the NAICS code range 310000 through 319999. You can search for several NAICS codes in one search by placing ' or ' between each one entered or you can separate each code with a comma (but no spaces), if you wish.
There is an NAICS code lookup table available by selecting the Prim. NAICS option then clicking on the use code lookup link.
To retrieve a list of companies by Country
Use the Country drop-down menu to select the target country, click on the Search button. The results page will show all the company names (if any) corresponding to the country you selected. The Country search criteria can be used in conjunction with the Primary SIC, Primary NAICS or MIC code searches. Simply select the country as mentioned above then follow the instructions for setting up the desired Industry Code Search criteria.
To view a Country Profile
From the drop down list at the right of the page, select the country you wish to view. The country profile will be displayed in a separate window.
Advanced Search will give you the ability to search on a wide range of criteria to produce very specific reports. These criteria are textual or numeric information within the data stored on companies. Multiple criteria can be set, combined with ‘AND’ or ‘OR’, for even greater refinement in searches.
Building the list of search criteria you wish to use is a multiple step process which is broken up into three sections.
Section 1: Select Target Universe:
Check-off the company databases to be searched. There are six databases listed in the section and five of them are available for Mercer students.
- US Company Universe: Active publicly traded US companies
- US Company Archive: Public US companies that have merged, were acquired or went bankrupt since 1995.
- International Universe: Non-US publicly traded companies
- International Archive: Public Non-US companies that have merged, were acquired or went bankrupt since 1995.
- Private Company Database: Private company reports from the Experian National Business Private Company Database.
Select the database you wish to search by setting the check box in front of their names.
Section 2: Select Data Category:
Build your search criteria to find a list of companies that match.
- Category: Choose one of six categories to find a data point to use in your search criteria: Executives, Financials; General Company Information, Industry Codes, Ratios, Textual search.
Use the down arrow at the right of the Category box to display a list of the categories available and select the category required. This will populate the data point list with the appropriate items.
- Data Points: Use the scroll bar at the right of the Data Point box to display the list of data points available and select the Data Point required.
- Operators: Based on the Data Point selected certain operators become available. Select the button of the condition you wish to use in the criterion.
- Search Value: Enter the value(s) you wish to use with the criterion item. When typing numeric values, you can use 't' for 1,000, 'm' for 1,000,000 and 'b' for 1,000,000,000.
The number pad becomes available for data items that have numerical criteria associated with them. When entering industry and geographic code values the tables become available above the Search Value field.
- Select the ‘AND’ or ‘OR’ buttons after entering your Search Value to either define a range of criteria or add another criteria to your criterion.
Remember that “AND” tends to narrow a search (i.e. produce fewer results) and “OR” widen it (more results).
- Then click the Add button to add the criteria created in the Search Build box to the Search Criteria box in Section 3.
- If you want to edit a criterion, you have to select it in the Search Criteria list box then click on the Edit button. The criterion will be placed back into Section 2 where you can undo your changes working right to left on the criterion.
Section 3: Search Criteria:
Lists the Criteria that have been built in Section 2. From this section you can: Run Search button, Remove button, Edit button, New Search button. Each new line of criteria listed in this section is searched for with an ‘AND’ operator between them. When ready, choose the Run Search button to start the search.
Using Saved Searches
Each search you create during a Mergent Online session is saved automatically and appears at the bottom of the Advanced Search page, under box 3. You can use saved searches. However, they are only available for the current session and cannot be saved for use in a future session. They will also be lost if a timeout occurs during a session. This will take you to be Search Results page.
You can search the EDGAR filings (Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval system) either by company information or by date or both.
- To search by Company Name, Ticker or Central Index Key, select the appropriate radio button and enter the text required.
- To search for text within EDGAR documents, enter the text in the Search Text edit box.
- To search by date, select the appropriate radio button and, if necessary, enter the date(s) required in the edit boxes.
- To search for a particular EDGAR filing type, select it from the drop down list or enter it into the edit box.
- When ready, choose the Search button to start the search for filings satisfying the criteria specified.
Industry Reports allows you to view reports based on sectors and countries. Use the drop-down menus available to search for reports by industry, by region, or date range. Once you selected the criteria, click on the Search button to the right.
Printing: Use the Download/Print link at the top right on the result list page to print the search results. For the company and financial information, you can use the print option from your browser to print them.
Downloading: Use the Download/Print link at the top right on the result list page to download the information to an Excel spreadsheet.
Note: The information above was collected from the Manual of Mergent Online User Guide.