Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Dedication Markers

by Jeremy M. Brown last modified Jul 31, 2011 05:15 PM

 


The Elam Alexander Memorial Seminar Room

(2nd floor, Seminar Room 1)

In grateful appreciation

to the
Elam Alexander Trust

for establishing the
Elam Alexander Endowed Fund for Library Development in Southern History
we dedicate this room as

THE ELAM ALEXANDER MEMORIAL SEMINAR ROOM

within the Main Library of Mercer University

Trustees of The Elam Alexander Trust

Ellsworth Hall, III, Chairman
Albert P. Reichert, Sr.
Sidney E. Middlebrooks
William Lee Tift, M.D.
John C. Walker, III
Sally Murphey Heard

R. Kirby Godsey, President
Mercer University
September 15, 1999


Chappell Library Instruction Room

(2nd floor, Classroom)

This Room Is
Dedicated to

RICHARD ARCHIBALD "ARCHIE" CHAPPELL
BA '26, LLD '54, LLB '62

and

ANNETTE RICHARDSON CHAPPELL

In Grateful Appreciation
for Their Loyal Devotion,
Dedicated Service
and
Outstanding Generosity
to Mercer University.


The Crouse Study Wing

(2nd floor, Study Rooms)

THE CROUSE STUDY WING

Dedicated to

JAMES EVERETT CROUSE
Exceptional Businessman and Alumnus

GERTRUDE PATE CROUSE
Loving Wife and Mother

GERTRUDE "TRUDIE" PATE CROUSE
Devoted Daughter and Loyal Alumnus

United in Devotion to Family and Mercer

[Includes poem by James E. Crouse, "On Receiving a Present for the Little Girl"
Baby picture of Trudie Crouse, AB '60 (Jan. 27, 1938 - Dec. 8, 1988)
Photographs of James, Gertrude, and Trudie Crouse]


Holliman Special Collections Room

(3rd floor)

In grateful appreciation,
we dedicate
THE SPECIAL COLLECTIONS ROOM
of the Main Library
of Mercer University to
LUCILE FOUNTAIN HOLLIMAN
Loyal Alumna of the Class of 1954
Doctor of Humanities Recipient, April 26, 1992
Accomplished Educator and Administrator
Faithful Baptist Churchwoman and Leader
Dedicated Member and Officer of the
Daughters of the American Revolution
Successful Businesswoman
World Traveler and Philanthropist

This room houses rare and historical materials
and also serves as the official depository for
the Georgia Baptist Historical Commission
and the Georgia Baptist Historical Society.
The collection includes materials gathered
since the late 1800's which were produced by
and are of enduring interest to Georgia Baptists.

 

R.Kirby Godsey
President

Dedicated
February 16, 1993


The Adolphus James and Eugenia Johnson McCorkle Suite

(3rd floor, Right side)

THE McCORKLE SUITE

Is Named in Honor
of

ADOLPHUS JAMES McCORKLE AND
EUGENIA JOHNSON McCORKLE

A Gift of

ALLAN JAMES McCORKLE AND
ROSEMARY HOLLANDER McCORKLE
of

Jacksonville, Florida
Dedicated April 18, 1996

R. Kirby Godsey
President
[Includes photographs of Adolphus and Eugenia Johnson]


Daniel Metts Entrance

(2nd floor, Entrance)

In Honor of

DANIEL LAMAR METTS
Library Director
1964-198

Admired and Respected
Scholar, Colleague,
Friend

Dedicated

April 1990


Salter Reading Area

(3rd floor, Right front corner)

This Reading Area Is Dedicated to
the Memory of

WALTER R. "BIG SIX" SALTER
October 18, 1903 - January 17, 1984

Loyal Alumnus of the Class of 1928
Outstanding and Versatile Athlete, 1925-1928
Inducted into the Hall of Fame, 1980
Accomplished Educator, Dedicated Coach
Successful Businessman and Community Leader

By his beloved wife
Dorothy S. Salter

[Includes photograph of Dorothy and "Big Six" Salter]


Thigpen-Parsons Study Room

(2nd floor, Study Room 238)

We honor our maternal grandmothers, two
remarkable ladies of great influence and wisdom.
Although they had limited formal education, they
were cultured and encouraged our education.
Although products of the Victorian Era, they were
remarkably liberated women. They were staunch
Baptists and leaders in their respective churches
who greatly influenced our Christian development.

MARY ETTA CROSBY THIGPEN (1880-1968)
Thomasville, Georgia

ANNA DORSEY PARSONS (1887-1985)
Johnson City, Tennessee

She is clothed with strength and dignity...
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful
instruction is on her tongue.

Proverbs 31:25-26

MARY ETTA CLARK SANDERS '58

DRAYTON MULLINGS SANDERS '59

Personal tools
staff intranet Library Staff